Week 1

Acting is behaving truthfully under imaginary circumstances. Seems easy in theory, but trust me, its not. Ive learned that you need to relax, trust, have exuberance, discipline, take criticism, have a playful attitude, and freedom.
For my first monologue I wanted to find something powerful. So I found a scene with high steaks and real circumstances. Now, I do not consider myself a dramatic actor. I definitely prefer doing a comedic piece, but I wanted to stretch myself. I found it early and began to memorize. I am definitely glad I decided to memorize early. It took me a long time because the characters phrasing was so weird. This also helped me keep calmer than usual on performance day. I definitely should always prepare early so I can focus on other things than the words of the woman I am portraying.
With the feedback I got performing, I found how powerful having outer motives is. Like for example: to make my 'scene partner' feel shame, or to intimidate her. These outer motives made the words come easier and I could sense the potential that this woman could inflict on her friend in the scene. I am going to write my motives down in the piece so I will know my goals.
I also received more feedback to make sure that my phrasing wasn't so choppy. I realized that I am stopping way to much and normal people don't stop like that. It stops the energy in my piece and confuses the audience. I am definitely going to work on that. I think with proper phrasing that my acting choice will become more fluid and aligned.
When I watched others perform I saw the power of focus. When you are performing a monologue you have a scene partner that isn't physically present. But you need to see them and know your surroundings. When you look at things with focus it engages the audience and it makes your tactics for effective. These focal points should always be forward in an audition setting because it look odd for someone to keep looking to the side. We also have talked a bit about what we want our other to physical be doing because of our words. I thought that this was a very interesting tactic, but I guess if you visualize what you want to happen then your voice will match it and achieve the effect you want your other to feel/do.
I also learned that raising the steaks is super important to a scene. "Why does this person have to do this now?" Answering this question brings energy and passion to your monolouge. Putting a time limit on what your character has to achieve makes steaks higher instantly (This is very effective)
This class has taught me so much. I have a lot to improve on but I know with diligent work I will be able to achieve my goals. I just need to remember to not compare myself to my other classmates.

Comments