Week 3

Wow I have learned so much this week! First I have seen the power of constructive criticism. When students in the class started performing this second time around IT WAS SUCH A HUGE CHANGE. It really makes me appreciate the suggestions that were given to me. I saw that people memorized their pieces more so that they could take the criticisms given to them and actually apply them and make them more natural. I hope that as I continue with my theater education that I will  be able to receive constructive criticism so my performance can keep getting better and better!
I love the piece that was done when a girl was trying to make herself not look crazy while her character was crazy. It added so much dimension to her piece and allowed her to make such bold choices. I really want that when I perform. But I am not quite sure how to cultivate that. I think that I should try to take risks? Well I will see what I can do. Maybe even watching performances will help me with that.

For my piece in particular I tried very hard to take the advice given to me and apply it. I wrote down my piece 3 times in total and rearranged tactics as I saw fit. I wanted to make it less sarcastic and more real and raw because my other way obviously wasn't coming across and honestly I don't think it fit the scene very well. I am so grateful for the advice because it made my piece way better. I even felt it as I performed! I was way more into my scene. I do think I need some help on the physical aspect of it because I didn't get notes on my practicalities till after my second performance. There is obviously more I can change with my scene like hiding my emotion from the woman I am talking to (Evy) and I am just so excited to be part of a class that is kind but firm in their remarks so that I can become a better actress.

Also volunteering at the High school Shakespeare competition was really eye opening. Ive seen how much ive learned just being at SUU a month. Wow I am so stoked to keep learning! But the competition also brought me back to remember the basics. I need to make sure that my diction is clear, im projecting, that I am listening to my scene partner, etc. I think that having a natural feel of the basics will help me grow faster as a performer. Watching the high school competition also reminded me not to upstage my cast and scene partners. I need to be an active listener. Even in my monologues where my partner isn't visible I still need to listen to what they would be saying and act accordingly.

Basically I am having a really fun time in this class. I can't wait to learn more. It has been difficult but I am excited to work and to become better at what I am passionate about!




Comments