Week 5

I am so grateful by how my second monologue went. I have been working so hard and I feel like it finally paid off. This monologue and speaking with my teacher has inspired me to double major. I am having meeting with some counselors these upcoming weeks to see if it is possible...I sure hope it is!
With my second monologue I think I got some great feedback. As I practiced today I noticed how breathy I was and I tried applying the note I got of having some better breath control. I think it has made a great improvement to my piece.
We also talked about breath control and took notes on it. I learned that actors need to have impeccable posture and to sound natural under pressure. I have slipped out of my habit of having nice posture and I carry lots of tension within my neck, jaw, and shoulders. If I could relax all these things while I perform and really dive into the character I think I could have better breath control. I also learned that the diaphragm is vital to taking a good breath. As you breath in you need to drop it down so that your lungs will feel completely. Your breath needs to travel through the pharynx (throat) and the larynx (vocal cords). I also learned that people actually don't know how sound is made. It's either that air vibrates the vocal cords or that the cords vibrate the air around them.
Also along with knowing how to breath right you need to know how to broadcast the sound well. resonance is re-sounding and its louder than the initial vibration it's self. There are a few "cigar boxes" in your head that can echo sound well. They are: the pharyngeal (the throat), oral (mouth), and the nasal cavity (nose).
Pitch is determined by the frequency of the vocal cords. The faster your vocal cords vibrate the higher the pitch. The slower your vocal cords vibrate the lower the pitch. What is horrible for actors/ actresses to suffer from is being monotone. That means that your voice is at a constant of one pitch. But, if you do that then your character loses realism.
Some more definitions that were talked about were: articulation is the raw vocal sound is transformed into speech, phonese is the recognizable units of sound, diction is the clarity of sound, pronunciation is how things are said, etc. all these things are very valuable to know when performing. If you don't apply this knowledge then people won't be able to understand you and if they can't even understand what you are saying it doesn't matter how important the plot point is or how good your acting, NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND YOU. So make sure that your breathing and sound is clear! This is very important information to know as an actor and I will certainly take this to heart and really apply it to my pieces so they can have a nice sound foundation!

Comments